Conner Ash Logo

Plus... More Time Needed

The last day for filing your personal income tax return is fast approaching. If you don’t think you’ll be able to file your 2016 federal return by the April 18 deadline, you can request an automatic filing extension from the IRS.

Generally, an extension gives you an additional six months to file (until October 16, 2017, for a 2016 return).

However, you should understand that an extension of time to file your return does not give you any extension of time to pay your taxes. April 18 is the deadline for most people to pay taxes owed. You will generally owe interest and penalties on any tax not paid by the regular return due date (even if you file on time).

Next Article February 2017 Newsletter Previous Article